What Is ODD?
ODD stands for Oppositional defiant disorder. It is a childhood behavioural problem characterised by regular disobedience and hostility. In this condition a child shows an ongoing pattern of an angry or ill-tempered mood, defiant or argumentative behaviour, and meanness toward his family members and other people as well. The child’s behaviour mostly disrupts his regular daily activities.
Signs And Symptoms Of ODD
It is quite difficult to differentiate between a strong-willed or emotional child and one with oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). However, the signs of this disorder usually start appearing during preschool years. Though at times ODD might develop later, but mostly it occurs before the early teen years. The most common sign of a child with ODD include:
- Showing constant temper tantrums
- Arguing with adults, particularly those with authority
- Vigorously refusing to obey the requests and rules
- Try to annoy or upset others intentionally
- Blame others for his/her mistakes
- Having regular outbursts of anger
- Using obscene language
- Using mean and hateful words for others when upset
Apart from it, most of the children with ODD are generally very moody, easily get frustrated, and have a very low self-esteem.
Causes Of ODD
While the exact cause of Oppositional Defiant Disorder is unknown, but as per research, it is believed that it is a result of combination of biological, genetic, and environmental factors.
- Biological Factors: Some researches recommend that defects or injuries to some particular areas of the brain can give rise to serious behavioural problems in children. Besides, Oppositional Defiant Disorder has also been related to abnormal functioning of some brain chemicals like neurotransmitters. The Neurotransmitters enable nerve cells in the brain to communicate with each other. In the event when these chemicals do not work appropriately, messages cannot make it through the brain perfectly. This leads to symptoms of ODD and many other mental illnesses.
- Genetic Factors: A number of children and teenagers with ODD have close family members, who have faced some mental illnesses, such as mood disorders, personality disorders, and anxiety disorders. Hence, it shows a possibility that ODD can also be inherited.Environmental factors: some environmental factors like a disturbed family life, a family history of mental illnesses, and inconsistent discipline by parents can also leads to the development of behaviour disorders including ODD.
Diagnosis Of ODD
Diagnosis of ODD can be done by a professional child psychologist, child psychiatrist or paediatrician who has specialisation in behavioural disorders. The diagnosis process normally includes thorough interviews with the child (in case if they are quite mature), parents and teachers. The doctor can make a proper diagnosis of ODD by comparing the child’s behaviour with the symptoms of this disorder.
The Treatment For Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
The treatment for ODD is mostly determined after analysing number of factors, such as the child’s age, the rigorousness of symptoms, and the child’s ability to take part in and endure particular therapies. Treatment for ODD generally consists of a combination of Psychotherapy and medications.
- Psychotherapy: It is a type of counselling, which aimed at helping the child to develop effective problem-solving skills, along with different ways to express and control anger. Psychotherapy includes two types of therapy techniques- cognitive-behavioural therapy and Family therapy. The cognitive-behavioural therapy focuses on reshaping the child’s thinking to improve his behaviour. While the family therapy can be proves helpful in improving family interactions and communication among them. A specific therapy technique known as parent management training, aims at teaching parents various techniques to positively change their child’s behaviour.
- Medication: Though there is no particular medication that is scientifically recognized or formally approved to treat ODD, but certain drugs might occasionally be used to treat other mental illnesses that can be present, like ADHD or depression.
Homeopathic Treatment For ODD
Homeopathic treatment for Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) is natural, safe and free from any type of side-effects. Patient can get huge relief from the frustrating symptoms of ODD with the help of homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy is a patient-oriented technique as medicines are always prescribed based on the characteristics of the individual rather than just the symptoms of the disease. Homeopathic remedies help in developing positive behaviour patterns in children by building their self esteem. Thus, it restores happy child and parent relationship.
Most Commonly Used Homeopathic Remedies For Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Cina: It is one of the most effective remedy for those short-tempered and restless children who are big, fat, and are always hungry. In this case, the child usually feels distressed, uneasy and is very dissatisfied with everything.
- Natrum Muriaticum: It is one of the excellent homeopathic medicines for those children who are very abusive, sad, brooding and short-tempered.
- Antimonium Crudum: This homeopathic remedy is mostly indicated for those children, who suffer from excessive anger and those who are very much abusive. These children mostly cry particularly when touched or washed.
Friends, as you all know very well that classical homeopathic medicines are prescribed only on the basis of TOTALITY OF SYMPTOMS with a clear cut identification of disease in patient and patient in disease also, even then we are providing here just a few homeopathic medicines for different types of medical problems in a short way.
But reader is advised very strongly to use the medicines only under medical supervision and these medicines should never ever consumed without proper consultation with your doctor or GP.
All types of ACUTE as well as CHRONIC COMPLEX diseases, (as described in this article) are being treated gently and harmoniously in our Singhal multispecialty homoeopathy clinic with best classical homoeopathy medicine available to us, by helping and correcting the internal immune system .
We, in our clinic treat all types of acute and chronic diseases and for this we are having best qualified homoeopathic doctors available with us.
As you all know that In this modern mobile and digital era, diseases are increasing day by day just because of our poor life style which includes improper nutrition with no exercise and working in high level of pollution as well as radiation ; this give rise to all type of life-style diseases which includes Obesity, Diabetes, Text neck, Hypertension, Stress Related Anxiety And Depression, Thyroid And Menses Related Problems, Eczema Or Dermatitis, Lichen Planus, Psoriasis Vulgaris, Hairfall, Skin Allergy And Allergies To Milk, Dust, Mites, Wheat And Perfumes Etc, Student’ Stress, I.B.S. (Ulcerative Colitis ),Rheumatoid Arthritis And Other Auto Immune as well as Hormonal Disorders And Diseases Etc.