Lichen planus is a persistent recurring rash that is mainly caused by inflammation in the skin and mucous membranes. This can be characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided bumps that further grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin.
Lichen planus can be found with other diseases of altered immunity, including ulcerative colitis, vitiligo, morphea, alopecia areata, morphea, myasthenia gravis dermatomyositis, and lichen sclerosis. This health problem has also been associated with hepatitis C virus infection.
Causes and risk factors associated with Lichen Planus
However, the exact cause of lichen planus is still unknown. In some cases, patients with widespread lichen planus are more likely to have a hepatitis C virus infection of the liver. Nevertheless, it is uncertain if this virus is the cause of lichen planus in these types of situations or not.
Some other possible causes for Lichen Planus
- Several drugs, especially those containing arsenic, bismuth, or gold, can cause an eruption which seems identical to lichen planus.
- Exposure to chemicals which are used in the development of colour photographs can also result in a similar rash.
- The long-standing use of the drugs such as quinacrine or quinidine (Quinidine Gluconate, Quinidine Sulfate) might produce hypertrophic lichen planus of the lower legs.
Signs and Symptoms
The following signs can be noted in the patient history:
- At first Lesions mainly developing on flexural surfaces of the limbs, followed by a widespread eruption developing after a week or more and maximal spreading in 2-16 weeks.
- Pruritus of changing severity, as per the type of lesion and the extent of involvement
- Oral lesions that can be asymptomatic, burning and painful.
Besides the generalized cutaneous eruption, lichen planus can also involve the following structures:
- Mucous membranes
Treatment for Lichen Planus
Lichen planus is a self-limited disease that generally resolves in 8 to 12 months. Fluorinated topical steroids can be used to treat mild cases. On the other side, more severe cases, particularly those involving scalp, nail, and mucous membrane, can require more intensive therapy.
Pharmacologic Therapies For Lichen Planus Include
- Cutaneous lichen planus: Topical steroids, systemic steroids, oral regimens including griseofulvin, metronidazole, methotrexate, acitretin, sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine.
- Lichen planus of the oral mucosa: Topical calcineurin, topical steroids, inhibitors, topical or oral retinoids.
Homeopathic Treatment For Lichen Planus
The homeopathic treatment for Lichen Planus is mainly based on number of factors including – the individual analysis of the patient’s disease, its cause, its spread, the area affected, the genetic tendency, and so on. Thus the treatment plans is designed in such a way that it focus on correcting the immune system, consecutively treating Lichen Planus from within.
The total length of treatment differs in every case. Its mainly depend on the following factors:
- Duration of Lichen Planus Areas affected like skin, mouth, nails, genitals, and scalp
- Extent of spread
- Previous medication
- General health and associated diseases
Homeopathic Medicines For Lichen Planus
Given below is the list of most commonly used homeopathic remedies for treating Lichen Planus.
- Arsenicum: It is an ideal homeopathic medicine in curing those cases in which there is small purplish spot appears in skin. Besides, blisters mostly occur after scratching.
- Borax: When blisters mostly appear in mouth, this homeopathic remedy can be used. This medicine is best suited for Oral Lichen planus, alongside an unhealthy skin.
- Sulphur : This remedy is best suited to people whose skin is very dry, scaly, and unhealthy. Skin ailments which are associated with lot of itching and burning that becomes worse on scratching can be treated with this medicine.
- Thuja : It is a good homeopathic remedy for incurable skin problems and chronic stubborn skin troubles such as lichen planus, psoriasis, eczema, warts, pyoderma, etc. This medicine is generally recommended to those patients who feel better in dry weather and whose condition become worse from humid climate and damp conditions.
- Arsenicum iodatum : It is a very good homeopathic remedy for skin conditions such as eczema, lichen planus, and psoriasis where there is marked itching and exfoliation of the skin. In these conditions, there is exfoliation of large scales which leaves behind raw exuding surface.
Friends, as you all know very well that classical homeopathic medicines are prescribed only on the basis of TOTALITY OF SYMPTOMS with a clear cut identification of disease in patient and patient in disease also, even then we are providing here just a few homeopathic medicines for different types of medical problems in a short way.
But reader is advised very strongly to use the medicines only under medical supervision and these medicines should never ever consumed without proper consultation with your doctor or GP.
All types of ACUTE as well as CHRONIC COMPLEX diseases, (as described in this article) are being treated gently and harmoniously in our singhal multispeciality homoeopathy clinic with best classical homoeopathy medicine available to us, by helping and correcting the internal immune system .
We, in our clinic treat all types of acute and chronic diseases and for this we are having best qualified homoeopathic doctors available with us.
As you all know that In this modern mobile and digital era, diseases are increasing day by day just because of our poor life style which includes improper nutrition with no exercise and working in high level of pollution as well as radiation ; this give rise to all type of life-style diseases which includes Obesity, Diabetes, Text neck, Hypertension, Stress Related Anxiety And Depression, Thyroid And Menses Related Problems, Eczema Or Dermatitis, Lichen Planus, Psoriasis Vulgaris, Hairfall, Skin Allergy And Allergies To Milk, Dust, Mites,Wheat And Perfumes Etc, Student’ Stress, I.B.S. (Ulcerative Colitis ),Rheumatoid Arthritis And Other Auto Immune as well as Hormonal Disorders And Diseases Etc.
One thought to “Homeopathic Treatment for Lichen Planus”
Thanks for sharing such wonderful knowledge! Herbal Treatment for Lichen Planus is an excellent companion for the skin with a wide array of healing benefits.