Epiphora is a condition where there is excessive watering of eyes, clinically the condition constitutes insufficient tears drainage from the tear drainage system (i.e. Nasolacrimal system).
Causes of epiphora:
Causes of Epiphora are as follows
- Eye irritation and inflammation
- Obstruction in the tear outflow tract
- Aging may be one of the reasons for the watering of the eyes.
- Common Cold.
- In neonates and infants, failure of the nasolacrimal duct to open.
- Poor reconstruction of the nasolacrimal duct system after trauma to the area.
- Facial fractures (soft tissue trauma)
- Lids disorder (ectropion – lids turn inwards and ectropion lids)
- Epiphora is diagnosed by clinical observation, history and presentation of the lids.
- Fluorescein dye (to detect the obstruction).
Usually the management of epiphora is done by surgery:
If the Epiphora is due to lid disorder ie, (ectropion – lids turned inwards or ectropion – lids turned outwards), then lid repair is indicated, punctual irrigation is also required. In infants with nasolacrimal defects, a nasolacrimal duct probe is used and a tube replacement, either temporary (Crawford) or permanent (Jones), is carried out. A surgical procedure called dacryocystorhinostomy is done to join the lacrimal sac to the nasal mucosa in order to restore lacrimal drainage.
Homeopathic treatment for epiphora:
Temporary symptomatic relief may be achieved for a short time using homeopathy. Long-term benefit may not be achieved. Homeopathy is not recommended for epiphora.
Best Homeopathic Doctor & Treatment for Epiphora in India. Just Call at +91 7087462000 and make an appointment with Dr. Singhal Homeo, and get Homeopathic Treatment.