Varicose veins, also known as varicoses or varicosities, occur when your veins become enlarged, dilated, and overfilled with blood. Varicose veins typically appear swollen and raised, and have a bluish-purple or red color. They are often painful.
The veins have certain valve like mechanism which allows the blood to move upwards toward the heart. The valves have leaflets. When the leaflets loose their elasticity, the valves loose their capacity to push blood upwards; hence there is a back pressure which leads to further elongation of the veins. The veins also have reduced elasticity. As a result, the veins get ‘tortuous’ or twisted; as well as hardened. The veins, thus, become visible as zigzag vascular tubes, especially on legs.
The condition is very common, especially in women. Around 25 percent of all adults have varicose veins. In most cases, varicose veins appear on the lower legs.
People in the business of standing for long, such as sales people, policemen, plastic surgeon (tend to stand for hours during surgery), etc. are risk of developing varicose veins
Causes of Varicose Veins
- Occupational: Standing long hours
- Genetic tendency
- Deep vein thrombosis: A condition which affects the valves of veins
- It might get triggered during pregnancy and due to obesity
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Painfulness of legs
- Visible tortuous veins on the legs (of affected parts) (See photo.)
- Swelling of legs and ankle
- Restless leg syndrome (due to pain.)
- Bleeding due to minor injury
Complications of Varicose Veins
- Ulcer formation
- If eczema on the affected parts, there may be infection leading to wounds which may take time to heal
- Thrombophlebitis: Due to clot formation in the veins, due to sluggish circulation
Treatment of Varicose Veins
Non-medical Treatment for Varicose Veins
Postural correction and changes form important part of treatment for varicose veins, as under:
- Always keep your legs elevated on a pillow during sleep (in case of varicosity of leg veins)
- Avoid long standing, form a habit of sitting down
- Ware suitable stockings
Surgical Treatment for Varicose Veins
Surgery may be indicated if varicosity is very severer.
Homeopathic Treatment for Varicose Veins
Homeopathy works very well for mild to moderate cases of varicose veins. It helps to reduce pain, control further varicosity, reduces swelling. Homeopathy also helps significantly in the cases which have varicose ulcers. Homeopathic treatment is strongly recommended for all cases of varicose veins except for those which are truly surgical in nature.
Best Homeopathic Doctor & Treatment for Varicose Veins in India. Just Call at +91 7087462000 and make an appointment with Dr. Singhal Homeo, and get Homeopathic Treatment.