A Ganglion cyst is a noncancerous lump that mostly develops within the hand and wrist adjacent to joints or tendons. These cysts mainly develop at the top side of the wrist, at the base of the finger on the palm side, the palm side of the wrist, and at the top of the last joint of the finger. In some cases, ganglion cysts may also occur in the ankles as well as feet.
A Ganglion cyst is normally small, round and generally painless. It often looks like a water balloon on a stem and is generally filled with transparent fluid or gel. However, these can cause pain if they press on a close by nerve.
Causes and Risk Factors
The most accurate cause of ganglion cysts is yet unknown as no one knows that what causes a cyst to grow. However, they might form due to a joint or tendon irritation or mechanical changes. These cysts grow out of a joint or the lining of a tendon, resemble a tiny water balloon on a stalk, and possibly develop in case if the tissue.
surrounding a joint or a tendon swells inappropriately. There is a thick lubricating fluid inside the cyst, which is similar to that found in joints or around tendons.
Factors that might increase the chance of developing ganglion cysts include:
- Gender and age: These cysts can develop in patients of all age-groups; however, it is mostly found in women between the ages of 20 and 40.
- Osteoarthritis: People having wear-and-tear arthritis in the finger joints adjoining their fingernails are more prone to developing ganglion cysts near those joints.
- Joint or tendon injury: Those with any past Joints or tendons injury are at higher risk of developing these cysts.
Signs and Symptoms
The major signs and symptoms associated with ganglion cysts mainly include:
- Location: These cysts normally develop along the tendons or joints of the wrists or hands. However, the next possible locations are the ankles and feet. Ganglion cysts can occur next to other joints as well.
- Shape and size: Ganglion cysts are generally round or oval and mostly have a very small size (around 2.5 centimeters). Even some of them are so small that they can’t even be felt. However, the size of a cyst can change, mostly getting larger when that joint is used for repetitive motions.
- Pain: Although Ganglion cysts are mostly painless but if a cyst presses on a nerve, it can be painful and cause tingling, numbness or muscle weakness.
Diagnosis of Ganglion Cysts
To diagnose the Ganglion cysts your doctor can undertake a physical exam. During this, he possibly will apply pressure to the cyst to determine softness or distress. Doctor might try to pass a light through the cyst to analyse if it’s just a solid mass or is filled with fluid.
The doctor may also suggest you some imaging tests like X-rays, ultrasound or MRI, to rule out the possibility of other conditions, like arthritis or a tumor. These tests can also help to locate hidden cysts.
Conventional Treatment for Ganglion Cysts
Mostly Ganglion cysts are painless, thus requiring no treatment. Most of the doctors generally suggest a watch-and-wait approach. In case if the cyst is causing pain or affecting joint movement, the doctor might recommend some treatments.
Treatments for Ganglion cysts are mostly non-surgical. In majority of cases, Ganglion cysts can easily observed specially if they are painless, as they often disappear suddenly. If the cyst cause pain, limits activity, or is otherwise unacceptable, a number of treatment options are available. First of all, splints and anti-inflammatory medication can be prescribed to lessen the pain associated with activities. Apart from it, an aspiration can be undertaken to eliminate the fluid from the cyst and decompress it. Aspiration is a very simple procedure as it involves introducing a needle into the cyst, which can be performed in most office settings. However, recurrence of the cyst is very common even after aspiration. Nevertheless, if non-surgical options are unable to give relief or if the cyst recurs, some surgical alternatives are available.
Homeopathic Treatment for Ganglion Cysts
Homeopathy plays a very significant role in the treatment of Ganglion cysts. The homeopathic remedies for Ganglion cysts are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis of the patient. These medicines not only help to give relief from the pain associated with this problem but also try to avoid the recurrence of these cysts.
Most commonly used homeopathic medicines for Ganglion cysts
- Carbo veg: This is one of the effective homeopathic remedies for those cases where people experience pulling and sharp drawing pains in the forearms, the wrists, and the fingers.
- Causticum: Causticum is one of the best homeopathic medicines for Ganglion cysts. It is generally recommended to those who have pains in the arms at night. Itching and eruptions on the arms is very common in these cases.
- Silicea: Silicea is one of the ideal homeopathic medicines for treating Ganglion on wrist. Those needs Silica mostly have gnawing, purulent vesicles with burning in fingers.
Friends, as you all know very well that classical homeopathic medicines are prescribed only on the basis of TOTALITY OF SYMPTOMS with a clear cut identification of disease in patient and patient in disease also, even then we are providing here just a few homeopathic medicines for different types of medical problems in a short way.
But reader is advised very strongly to use the medicines only under medical supervision and these medicines should never ever consumed without proper consultation with your doctor or GP.
All types of ACUTE as well as CHRONIC COMPLEX diseases, (as described in this article) are being treated gently and harmoniously in our Singhal multispecialty homoeopathy clinic with best classical homoeopathy medicine available to us, by helping and correcting the internal immune system .
We, in our clinic treat all types of acute and chronic diseases and for this we are having best qualified homoeopathic doctors available with us.
As you all know that In this modern mobile and digital era, diseases are increasing day by day just because of our poor life style which includes improper nutrition with no exercise and working in high level of pollution as well as radiation ; this give rise to all type of life-style diseases which includes Obesity, Diabetes, Text neck, Hypertension, Stress Related Anxiety And Depression, Thyroid And Menses Related Problems, Eczema Or Dermatitis, Lichen Planus, Psoriasis Vulgaris, Hairfall, Skin Allergy And Allergies To Milk, Dust, Mites, Wheat And Perfumes etc. Student’ Stress, I.B.S. (Ulcerative Colitis ),Rheumatoid Arthritis And Other Auto Immune as well as Hormonal Disorders And Diseases etc.