Nephrotic syndrome is a kidney problem in which the ‘filters’ in the kidney become ‘leaky’, thus causes your body to leak out large amounts of protein in your urine.
Nephrotic syndrome is not a single condition but is a combination of nephrotic-range proteinuria with a low level of serum albumin and edema.
This syndrome can affect any age-group including adults and children of both genders and of any race.
Signs and Symptoms
Initial symptoms of Nephrotic syndrome generally include malaise, anorexia, and frothy urine (due to high concentrations of protein).
Apart from it, some corresponding symptoms can also develop, such as peripheral edema and ascites.
Other symptoms and signs that may develop in a nephrotic syndrome, include:
- fatigue, laziness and a poor appetite
- Diarrhoea and/or vomiting (particularly in children)
- leukonychia (wasting of muscles and nails becomes white), especially if this syndrome persists for a long time.
Causes of Nephrotic Syndrome
Nephrotic syndrome is generally due to tiny blood vessels (glomeruli) damage of the kidneys. However, there are a number of diseases and conditions that lead to glomerular damage and eventually result in nephrotic syndrome.
These mainly include:
- Minimal change disease: This disorder is the most common cause of nephrotic syndrome in children and generally leads to abnormal kidney function. However, in most of the cases the exact cause of the abnormal function cannot be determined.
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis: This disorder can result from any other disease or a genetic disorder or occur for no particular reason. It is generally characterized by scattered scarring of the glomeruli.
- Membranous nephropathy: This is a kidney disorder and mostly results from thickening membranes within the glomeruli. However, the thickening can be due to any other medical conditions, like malaria, hepatitis B, lupus and cancer.
- Diabetic kidney disease: Diabetes is also one of the disorders that can lead to kidney damage that eventually affects the glomeruli.
- Renal vein thrombosis: This disorder occurs when a blood clot blocks a vein linked to the kidney. This can also be a major reason behind nephrotic syndrome.
- Heart failure: nephrotic syndrome can also be a result of some types of heart failure like severe right heart failure and constrictive pericarditis.
Diagnosis of Nephrotic Syndrome
Doctors generally use a series of tests and procedures to diagnose nephrotic syndrome. Firstly, your doctor may ask you for urine tests as a urinalysis can help to indentify abnormalities in your urine, like large amounts of protein if you have nephrotic syndrome. Moreover blood tests also help to diagnose if you have nephrotic syndrome or not. A blood test mainly shows the low levels of the protein albumin and sometimes the decreased levels of blood protein as well.
Other than that, your doctor might also recommend kidney biopsy (a procedure of removing a small sample of kidney tissue for testing). In this procedure, a special needle is inserted into your kidney through your skin. After that the kidney tissue is collected and then sent to a lab for testing.
Conventional Treatment for Nephrotic Syndrome
The main objective of the treatment for nephrotic syndrome is to treat any underlying medical condition that might be responsible for causing nephrotic syndrome. The treatment helps to relieve symptoms, prevent complications and kidney damage. The various treatment options for nephrotic syndrome include:
- Keep blood pressure at proper rate to delay kidney damage. For this, the most commonly used medicines include Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors also help to lower the amount of protein lost in the urine.
- Treat high cholesterol levels to lessen the risk of heart and blood vessel problems. A low-salt diet and water pills can prove very helpful to treat swelling in the hands and legs.
- Low-protein diets can also prove effective.
- V supplements can also help especially if this syndrome is persisting from a long time and is not responding to treatment.
Homeopathic Treatment for Nephrotic Syndrome
Homeopathy treatment for Nephrotic Syndrome is quite effective. Homeopathy works at the underlying causes responsible for Nephrotic Syndrome; thus homeopathy treats the disease in such a way that the above targets can be easily achieved. The selection of homeopathic medicines is based on the certain guidelines, hence they are very safe and free from any side effects.
Most commonly used homeopathic remedies for Nephrotic Syndrome
- Apocynum: This homeopathy remedy is very useful in treating those cases of Nephrotic Syndrome, where the urine is scanty.
- Apis mellifica: This is one of the most effective homeopathic medicines for treating that Nephrotic Syndrome cases where there is a possibility to develop swelling and puffed up parts particularly the eyelids.
- Lycopodium: This homeopathic remedy is mostly Indicated for Nephrotic Syndrome involving swelling of lower limbs with heaviness in the abdomen.
- Terebinthina: This is one of the most ideal homeopathic remedies for Nephrotic Syndrome cases when there is violent burning pain in the kidneys with suppressed urine.
Friends, as you all know very well that classical homeopathic medicines are prescribed only on the basis of TOTALITY OF SYMPTOMS with a clear cut identification of disease in patient and patient in disease also, even then we are providing here just a few homeopathic medicines for different types of medical problems in a short way.
But reader is advised very strongly to use the medicines only under medical supervision and these medicines should never ever consumed without proper consultation with your doctor or GP.
All types of ACUTE as well as CHRONIC COMPLEX diseases, (as described in this article) are being treated gently and harmoniously in our Singhal multispecialty homoeopathy clinic with best classical homoeopathy medicine available to us, by helping and correcting the internal immune system .
We, in our clinic treat all types of acute and chronic diseases and for this we are having best qualified homoeopathic doctors available with us.
As you all know that In this modern mobile and digital era, diseases are increasing day by day just because of our poor life style which includes improper nutrition with no exercise and working in high level of pollution as well as radiation ; this give rise to all type of life-style diseases which includes Obesity, Diabetes, Text neck, Hypertension, Stress Related Anxiety and Depression, Thyroid And Menses Related Problems, Eczema Or Dermatitis, Lichen Planus, Psoriasis Vulgaris, Hairfall, Skin Allergy and Allergies To Milk, Dust, Mites, Wheat and Perfumes etc. Student’ Stress, I.B.S. (Ulcerative Colitis ),Rheumatoid Arthritis and Other Auto Immune as well as Hormonal Disorders and Diseases etc.