PCOD (Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease) or PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a disease characterized by multiple (‘poly’) cysts (small sacs filled with fluid) in the ovaries.
Patients with PCOD have abnormal levels of hormones that result in irregular menses, infertility and certain masculine changes in the body.
CAUSES OF PCOD:
PCOS problems are caused by hormone changes hormonal imbalance. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another.
- Raised levels of Testosterone – Androgens or “male hormones,” although all women make small amounts of androgens….Higher than normal androgen levels in women can prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg (ovulation) during each menstrual cycle. Excess androgen produced by the theca cells of the ovaries, due either to hyperinsulinemia or increased luteinizing hormone (LH) levels.
- Raised levels of Luteinising Hormone (LH) – Due to increased production from the anterior pituitary.This stimulates ovulation but may have an abnormal effect on the ovaries if levels are too high.
- low levels of Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) – A protein in the blood, which binds to testosterone and reduces the effect of testosterone.
- Raised levels of Prolactin – Hormone that stimulates the breast glands to produce milk in pregnancy.
- High levels of Insulin (a hormone that helps convert sugars and starches into energy) If you have insulin resistance, your ability to use insulin effectively is impaired, and also your pancreas has to secrete more insulin to make glucose available to cells (so, hyperinsulinaemia) Excess insulin might also affect the ovaries by increasing androgen production, which may interfere with the ovaries’ ability to ovulate.
A significant hereditary component, if your mother or sister has PCOS, you’re more likely to have it.
If you’re overweight, your chances of developing it are greater. As weight gain increases insulin resistance. Fatty tissues are hormonally active and they produce estrogen which disrupts ovulation.
Generally, the patient presents with the following symptoms:
Various hormones of the body operate in harmony to regularize smooth functioning of all systems including the reproductive system.
The disturbance of hormonal mechanism makes the ovaries produce excessive amount of the male reproductive hormones (androgens) and at the same time, there is failure of egg formation. This excess of androgens with absence of ovulation may cause infertility.
With this understanding, that the disturbed hormonal functioning of the body lies at the root of PCOD, it can be easily perceived that this constitutional disorder will require constitutional approach towards its rectification.
The homeopathic approach towards management of PCOD is constitutional, taking into account the presenting complaints along with physical, mental and genetic make-up that individualizes a person. Homeopathic medicines which act at root level can bring back deviations of hormonal system back to normalcy and in many cases abolish the need for exogenous hormones with their side-effects and complicate surgical procedures. Moreover, with this hormonal harmony, chances of conception increase significantly.
DIAGNOSIS OF PCOD
- Typical medical history: Regular/ irregular menstrual cycles, heavy/scanty menstrual flow, the need to take hormonal tablets (progestins) to induce a period etc.
- Physical Signs: Often obese and may have hirsutism, (excessive facial and body hair) as a result of the high androgen levels.
- Diagnosis can be confirmed by vaginal Ultrasound (USG pelvis): Shows that both the ovaries are enlarged; the bright central stroma is increased, and there are multiple small cysts in the ovaries. These cysts are usually arranged in the form of a necklace along the periphery of the ovary
- Blood levels of hormones:
- High LH (luteinizing hormone) level; and a Normal FSH level (follicle stimulating hormone) i.e. a reversal of the LH: FSH ratio, which is normally 1:1.
- Elevated levels of androgens (a high dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (DHEA-S) level);
- Fasting cholesterol and triglyceride levels;
- Glucose tolerance test.
ANTI- PCOD DIET:
Polycystic ovarian disease is a common hormonal disorder found in one out of 10 women. Women suffer from irregular menses, unusual hair growth on the body and most of them gain weight too. Others may not show any symptoms and have a normal body type along with small cysts in the ovaries. Females are noted to have a predisposition to PCOD or it may also run into families. A right diet with adequate exercise has shown great results in PCOD recovery.
The do’s and don’ts in a PCOD diet:
- Diet should be dominated with lots of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. Avoid dairy products as much as possible.
- Lean cuts of chicken and fish can be taken. But avoid red meat.
- Hydrate yourself well by having minimum 2-3 liters water/day, coconut water, buttermilk, vegetable soups and smoothies. Avoid aerated drinks and sugary foods.
- Eat unsaturated fats and delete saturated and hydrogenated fats from your diet. Always check the label of the product while buying them.
- Binge on whole wheat products like wheat pasta, wheat poha and avoid maida, suji
- Brown rice in and white rice should be out of your diet. Red rice is also found to be rich in antioxidants which can be used as a substitute for white rice.
- Include natural herbs in your diet like flax seeds, methi seeds, coriander, cinnamon.
- Include millets like barley, ragi, quinoa, and oats. They are known to cool your body.
- Say Yes to walnuts, almonds and no to cashews
- Whole pulses like skinned green moong dal, chana dal, yellow moong dal, whole pulses to be included in various preparations.
- Eat small meals frequently throughout the day, maintain a low salt diet to avoid water retention. So it is a ‘Yes’ to salads and ‘No’ to pickles and papads.
- Exercise for 30- 40 minutes daily (Brisk walking, yoga and meditation)
- Never skip your breakfast. Avoid junk, carry home food whenever and whenever possible. Sleep right and avoid stress. There may be individual variations in diet as per the state of health.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT IN PCOD:
The human body has been perfectly enabled by nature to keep itself disease free. It is only when the immunity or its own internal vitality is deranged that the body becomes incapable of keeping itself disease free. Therefore Homeopathy tries to restore the balance of that vitality. Once the vitality regains its original balance, it is able to nurse itself back to health without any external aid.
- Homeopathic medicines correct the hormonal imbalance & neutralize its negative effects.
- The cysts dissolve gradually can be checked in the next f/u after 3-6 month of starting the treatment, by repeating the USG pelvis.
- The menstrual cycle gets regularized. Other complaints, including acne and hair growth on the face, are also taken care.
- Opens the possibility of becoming fertile in the future for women to bear pregnancy.
- Menses are suppressed, scanty or short and that appear too late.
- The character of menstrual blood is dark, black, pale, clotted or highly changeable.
- The peculiar constitutional symptoms for use of Pulsatilla are a mild, gentle, sensitive, emotional nature in women,
- A tendency to weep and timidity.
- A lack of thirst and need for open air.
- Facial hair appears especially on the chin and upper lip.
- Irregular, feeble menses or suppressed periods.
- Menstrual irregularity is an intense bearing down sensation in the pelvis.
- Indifference to family members
- Irritability, aversion to occupation, sadness.
- Hair growth on the face and body and retarded periods of scanty duration. During periods, pain may be felt in the left ovary.
- Other homeopathic medicines useful in PCOD:
- CALCAREA CARB, APIS, LACHESIS, LYCOPODIUM, PHOSPHORUS, CALCAREA CARB, MEDORRHINUM, CALCAREA PHOS, KALI CARB.
OTHER TREATMENTS AVAILABLE FOR PCOD:
- Lifestyle changes:
- Weight loss
- Low-calorie diet
- Moderate exercise activities
- Medications (Hormone Therapy):
- To regulate your menstrual cycle.
- a) Combination birth control pills — pills that contain both Estrogen and Progestin.
- b) Progesterone for 10 to 14 days every one to two months.
- c) Metformin, an oral medication for type 2 diabetes that improves insulin resistance and lowers insulin levels.
- To help you ovulate:
- If you’re trying to become pregnant
- a) Clomiphene (Clomid, Serophene) is an oral anti-estrogen medication to take in the first part of your menstrual cycle.
- b) Metformin may be added to help induce ovulation.
- c) Gonadotropins — follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) medications, administered by injection.
- d) Letrozole works to stimulate the ovaries.
- To reduce excessive hair growth:
- a) Birth control pills to decrease androgen production
- b) Spironolactone that blocks the effects of androgens on the skin.
- b) Eflornithine is another medication possibility; the cream slows facial hair growth in women.
- To regulate your menstrual cycle.
- Laparoscopic Ovarian Cauterisation or
- Ovarian Drilling or
- LEOS (laparoscopic electrocauterisation of ovarian stroma).
This should be reserved for women with PCOD who have large ovaries with increased stroma on ultrasound scanning.
Destroying the abnormal ovarian tissue helps to restore normal ovarian function and helps to induce ovulation.
Best Homeopathic Doctor & Treatment for PCOD in India. Just Call at +91 7087462000 and make an appointment with Dr. Singhal Homeo, and get Homeopathic Treatment.
Patient Testimonials for PCOD
We r very thankful to Dr Vikas Singhal that with his medication and proper guidance and positively mentoring us, we r blessed with our first baby (boy) after 14 years of wandering in all kinds of pathies. My wife is suffering very long from PCOD, irregular periods and harmonal disbalance. We tried all kinds of pathies but no one is able to diagnose the real cause. Thanks to Dr Singhal that he not even diagnosed her problem and cures too. My wife is very persistent to Dr Sahib’s medication. She religiously follows his guidance. Thank you Sir for your sincere efforts towards us and mentoring like a elder brother. We will never forget u in our life. Once again millions of thanks to Dr Sir and his cooperative staff. Thank you and God bless you.
I have been taking alot of antibiotic medicines for PCOD without even knowing how they have various side effects, I’ve been gaining weight due to the use of such medicines. But now switching to homeopathic treatment has really helped me to loose weight and getting my periods on time without any side effects, I’ve lost 2kg within first 15 days of my treatment.